Tuesday 30 October 2018

MY EXPERIENCE AT THE KING OF BOYS MOVIE PREMIERE

King of Boys Movie Premiere


There are a few movie premieres that I have attended and this one has been my best so far.

When I got the invite to this premiere, I went straight to check out the dress code for the event because I know my Lagos people; they do not joke when it comes to dressing to events. The dress code said ‘Gangster Royalty’. For a split second, I was blank… ‘Gangster what?’ I thought to myself and headed for my wardrobe to see if I could make out anything that spoke ‘Gangster and Royalty’ at the same time but no, I couldn’t.

Long story short, I decided that dressing safe was better than dressing wrong, so I went in for a big white shirt, slightly ripped sky blue denim trousers and a black plum heel; made up, grabbed my white purse and off I was to the premiere.


It was to start at 5pm in Film House Cinema, Lekki and I was an hour late, so I repeatedly hammered on my Uber driver to hurry up because I didn’t want to miss any part of the premiere. When I arrived, I realized how early I was because it took the celebrities another hour to arrive and you know how it goes – the event never starts until the celebs arrive.
So, while I waited, I decided to check out the venue to see what I was working with as I was vlogging the event for my YouTube channel.

The set up was a long black carpet spread just in front of the fence gate, behind which mounted a wide banner that had the faces of the cast of the movie on it. At the entrance of the carpet, there was a 360 camera setup so as to make videos of celebrities/guests dancing, playing or just having fun. At the extreme end of the carpet, there was an Amstel Malta stand and they were serving us chilled cups of Amstel Malta drinks and cocktails inspired by Amstel Malta.

About an hour later, most of the popular Nollywood faces you know started to walk in. I saw the like of Kemi Adetiba of course,
Sola Shobowale Wellington at King of Boys Movie Premiere
Sola Shobowale,
Eyinna Nwigwe Wellington at King of Boys Movie Premiere
Eyinna Nwigwe,
Adesua Etomi Wellington at King of Boys Movie Premiere
Adesua Etomi Wellington,
Falz at King of Boys Movie Premiere
Falz theBhadGuy,
Noble Igwe at King of Boys Movie Premiere
Noble Igwe,
Anto at King of Boys Movie Premiere
Anto Lecky,
Seyi Shay at King of Boys Movie Premiere
Seyi Shey Osas Ighodaro,
Sharon Ooja at King of Boys Movie Premiere
Sharon Ooja,
Ini-Dinma Okojie at King of Boys Movie Premiere
Ini-Dinma Okojie, Toni Tones, and a lot more. As each of them strode in, I switched to my presenter persona, turned on my camera, more like my Iphone on a tripod and began to ask them questions like; Why they wanted to see this movie and Who in particular in the movie they couldn’t wait to see.

A lot of them have been impressed by Kemi Adetiba’s work, particularly her ability to bring life to the first part of Wedding Party, so they were convinced that she would deliver a more impressive body of work with “King of Boys’. For the second question, everyone was there for two people – Sola Shobowale and Reminisce.

After almost 2 hours of standing on heels, smiling and talking to guests, I was fagged out, so I rushed to the Amstel Malta stand to help my life. As I am no longer a fan of cocktail drinks, I opted for a chilled cup of the malt drink and that did me some good. Then it was time for the movie.

Sometimes, the result of hard work can be discomfort. We were viewing the movie in the VIP screening room, which had a huge screen and people had already occupied the good seats (the seats at the top most part of the room), leaving just the first four rows vacant, which would have been perfect had I not abandoned my glasses at home. Anyways, I settled on the fourth row, at the extreme right of the cinema.

Thank God! Each seat had a pack of popcorn and a bottle of water to go with it. And the movie began. Guys, I didn’t know this until this day that premiere cuts are always or sometimes longer than the final cut that would make it to the release date. So we spent a whole 4 hours watching this movie.

Let me tell you a funny story that happened at the cinema. 3 hours into the movie, the cinema attendants started to bring in small chops, burgers and chips. As they walked in, I was excited because your baby girl was famished. But guys, they passed me and went straight to the top most part of the room (I am guessing where the celebrities were) to serve. As each attendant passed me, I silently prayed that the chops will be served to everyone in the room, or to me mistakenly #coversface.

Some minutes later, they passed a platter full of stuff to the seats in front of me, then my hope began to rise, ‘it will get to you Omy, don’t worry’, I said to myself, then acted like I wasn’t paying attention to how the platter was moving. Then a second platter was passed to the same row, this time, the guy at the extreme end, just in front of me, turned sideways and passed it to the lady to his right, she shook her head in rejection, then he turned back, looked at me and said.

“Do you care?”

I could not believe my ears! I was going to give him a wide smile and say, ‘before nko’ instead, I stretched out my hands and replied, “I don’t mind.”

Ladies and Gentlemen, as the plate left his hands for mine, the lady to his right signaled him, gesturing that she wouldn’t mind the meal, but baby girl was late because the sumptuous platter of Gizdo, Coleslaw, Hotdog and soft Grilled Chicken was already in my hands and I began to wack and wack *wink. The food was sweet and I bless God for the life of that young man that showed me such good gesture.

Now, tips for you if you are to attend a movie premiere:

-          Make sure you check the dress code on the IV to have an idea of how you should look and what you should wear.

-          Do not put yourself under any pressure if you do not have the dress code.

-          Looking smart and neat always works.

-          Wear a good makeup, keep your hair neat and tidy.

-          The most flattering outfit is self-confidence!  Don’t forget that we are all beautifully created by God. So walk with your head high.

-          Say hello to any celebrity you admire. If you get a nice response, that great, if you get a mean one that’s also great because it tells you who not to talk to at the next event you attend.

In all, I had a good time, the movie was released in all cinemas in Lagos on the 26th of October, 2018, and I will also write a review of the movie here. In case you are not sure if you should see the movie or not, my review will guide you appropriately.

I hope you enjoyed this piece, I’d love to hear you say so in the comment section. Going forward, I’ll be writing more about the events I attend, hopefully it will guide and prepare you for events like that as well.

Till Next Time,
XoXo…

No comments:

Post a Comment